Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Trip Back to Korea

I have made the trip back to Korea. I flew from Saskatoon to Calgary, and then from Calgary to Incheon. I have put together a tripling map to illustrate the trip. I may update it later, but it shows the basics for now.



The stay in Calgary was long. I arrived at about 7 am, and I didn't fly out until close to 4. I was disappointed to learn that the free wifi in Calgary blocks College Humor.
I took a picture of our plane as it came in. Oh, and I really have to send out a huge thank you to Chelsea for the luggage strap idea. It worked amazingly. I was able to drag both of my giant suitcases around airports with one hand with ease.



The flight was long as well, because I didn't plan ahead well. I didn't have anything I really wanted to read, and there was no power so I didn't use my laptop.

I was also challenged by the fact that the flight crew ran things as if continuing Calgary time, while I was trying to switch to Korean time. I slept for a while at the beginning of the flight, but for the second two thirds I was trying to stay awake. Movies helped, but it wasn't easy with all the lights low.

It was simple to get through immigration and customs. My bags took a little while, but I got them without problem. The hotel that I stayed at last night, and where I am now typing this, sent a van to get me. I was pretty wide awake when I arrived even though I hadn't slept much in the couple days before. I showered and went out for a little walk. I had really missed the neon-lit commercial areas.


Here's a photo of my room at the hotel.



I got this photo of the hotel while I was out in the morning.




The hotel was nice enough.

I was able to sleep quite well, though I was up at about 4 am local time for a bit. I had breakfast here in the hotel, and met another guy from Canada. He was here visiting, and it was cool to talk with him while I ate.

I then went out to try to find toothpaste for my sensitive teeth. I was unsuccessful, but I did get regular old toothpaste and I took a few photos of the area.

Here you can see the shop where I got my toothpaste (ministop on the first floor), along with a bunch of other businesses.



Here's a view of some apartment buildings in the area.


That's all I've got for now. I finished this up from my dorm room at the orientation site. I am going to take a look at the schedule for tomorrow and then I think I'll head back down to chat with people for a bit. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, it went well! Was a busy time though, sorry I didn't see your comment before now!

    ReplyDelete