Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chuseok - Well Spent Time Off

Hello All! I hope everything is going well for everyone. I should have done this post just after my Chuseok holidays ended, because I can't remember every little thing that I did over the time off. I'll just hit some of the high points and show some pictures.

Chuseok is one of the two most important holidays in Korea. It is a time to return to one's hometown and pay respects to ancestors, as well as to spend time with family. I was informed by a coworker that I sort of returned to my hometown with my little Bucheon trip, which I described in an earlier post. I went out early on during my time off. I was surprised when he mentioned that I was following the meaning of Chuseok, because that wasn't what I meant to do with my trip. My return to Bucheon did turn into quite a nostalgia-fest, so I suppose it does sort of fit with the idea of Chuseok.

The Bucheon trip was on Sunday, and I had the the whole next work week off to do stuff. Among the things I did were visiting Gyeongbokgung yet again, touring Ewha Uni with a couple of Ewha student friends of mine, hiking, visiting Myeongdong (and Dongdaemun briefly), spending a couple nights in Hyehwa, and eating with people a few times.

I am realizing I should have taken more pictures over the course of the holiday, both to help me remember specifics now, and to have more to show you! I put a few up on Faceblog that include other people, so those of you with access to those can go check them out if you feel like it. I hope you enjoy these few photos.



















The front gate of Gyeongbokgung, already featured in a previous post,
but this time seen from the inside. It was one of the only things I took
photos of in the palace since I've already got many photos covering
it.




















Myeongdong.




















Stream we crossed a few times during our hike. The resting photos
that can be seen on Faceblog were taken on this stream, but much
further upstream.




















Buddha at a temple where we rested on our way up. Not a large
statue, but still neat.




















View up through the leaves at the sun. This was also during hiking.




















Galbi after the hiking. Twas delicious as usual.




















First picture I've ever gotten of myself with Dongdaemun gate.


So yah, That is a slice of my Chuseok anyway. I had a really good time throughout, even during the crazy torrential rains that soaked us at Ewha (seriously, soooo much water!). I will hopefully soon do another post with photos from some hiking I did this weekend with a couple of Korean friends. I got some nice photos of the city and surrounding mountains, even though it was cloudy.

Also, in case I forget to mention then, I ate duck, and it was so delicious. My friend's son kept saying "We're eating Donald Duck," but really for something that tasty it's worth devouring a treasured children's cartoon character.

Everyone in Canada enjoy your Sunday, and I hope to talk to you all soon!

2 comments:

  1. Dan, I finally fond your blog, courtesy of your twitter/facetube post. Just read all your posts. Awesome bog, keep up the great work. The stories, the features and the hilarious sign comments. Automatic chalkboard erasers?! Sweet!! I guess as for questions, do you do slot of cooking at home or mostly eat out? If you cook at home what do you make? Oh ad I saw your post about import Crown, that is a good good thing.

    Keep posting and we'll have to skype soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Justin! I do love putting the posts together. I don't cook at home often. I do the occasional omelette or some other simple little thing, but I can get much better food for cheap nearby, so I tend to do that instead. Another thing is my fridge is quite small, so it's hard to keep it stocked with cooking supplies. I find it's better to have consumables and not use too much space for ingredients that I wouldn't use often. Maybe I'll do a food-centered post once I finally get a phone with a camera.

    ReplyDelete